Tuesday 16 June 2009

Internships


It has been quite sometime since I posted last, but many aspects have progressed. Part of my BA Design course requires a compulsory 6 week internship comprised of either one or many. I have currently secured two and a teaching stint at a school in North London. The first placement is quite a  interesting and unique opportunity as initially I was keen to work for a relatively large, renowned company to witness the cogs of success. Large planning and architectural firms were my initial channel but was unexpectedly put in contact with a sculptor named John Cierach, who currently owns a series of unique sites in Creekside, Deptford on which he wants to develop for creative purposes. Project management, research and model making are all aspect to be included.
Immediately striking me as exciting, a public centred project, creative, low key whilst remaining at root level in a slowly developing neck of London certainly ticked the boxes, so at present I am working on this, the development of which can be followed on my dedicated blog: 


The second placement I am currently is with &made, a past duo from BA Design, Goldsmiths who graduated a few years back and now run their own small furniture studio down on Creekside, Deptford. Now well established they have work featured in Liberties, the MoMa in NYC and are quite the gents. They design with a sustainable and environmentally aware conscience and have some wonderful pieces, from tables, chairs, exhibitions and small products they certainly have a healthy repertoire, with many more in the pipeline. There is no specific blog to document my placement here so I shall be keeping tabs on it here. My main duties here are product development, model making, material, production research and other odds and sods, the work has been great so far.

No comments: